Brentford have signed Greece international striker Nikos Karelis on a one-year deal.
The 27-year-old was a free agent after leaving Belgian side Genk earlier in the summer.
“Nikos is a player that will reinforce our options in attacking areas,” boss Thomas Frank told the club website.
“He is fit now and while he may take a while to be 100% ready to start in the Championship, I know he will have an impact.”
Find all the latest football transfers on our dedicated page.
Tomer Hemed and Erhun Oztumer could both debut for Charlton when they host Nottingham Forest at The Valley.
Defender Chris Solly will be assessed after he suffering a head injury in Saturday’s draw with Barnsley.
Joao Carvalho will travel with Forest as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury, but will not feature.
There are no new injury concerns for Reds boss Sabri Lamouchi, who is not expected to make many changes following Saturday’s win against Birmingham City.
- Charlton Athletic are unbeaten in their past six league games against Nottingham Forest (W2 D4 L0).
- Forest are looking for their first away league win at Charlton since a 2-0 victory in February 2013 under Billy Davies.
- Since the start of last season, Charlton have won 16 penalties in league matches, with Lyle Taylor scoring nine of those spot-kicks. Indeed, only Luka Milivojevic and John Akinde (10 each) have netted more within England’s top four tiers since August 2018.
- Both Charlton and Forest have scored three goals from set-pieces so far this season, the joint most in the competition in 2019-20 (alongside Luton and Preston).
- Charlton are looking to win their opening two home matches of a Championship season for the second successive campaign in the competition, having beaten QPR and Hull in 2015-16, before they were ultimately relegated to League One.
- Forest striker Lewis Grabban has scored three goals in six previous league appearances against Charlton. He scored one goal and created another for Norwich on his last visit to The Valley, helping his side to a 3-2 victory in February 2015.
Frank Lampard said managing Chelsea at Stamford Bridge for the first time was the “stuff of dreams”, despite Wilfred Ndidi’s second-half header earning Leicester City a deserved point.
Chelsea took the lead when 20-year-old midfielder Mason Mount scored a memorable first goal for the Blues after robbing Ndidi of possession just outside the Foxes penalty area before beating Kasper Schmeichel with a low drive.
Lampard’s side started with real intent, Spain forward Pedro volleying into the side-netting and France midfielder N’Golo Kante denied a goal against his former club by Christian Fuchs’ fine challenge either side of Mount’s goal.
Leicester were much better after half-time and secured the point their second-half dominance warranted when Ndidi got between Spain right-back Cesar Azpilicueta and France defender Kurt Zouma to head in from a corner.
Both teams remain without a win, with Leicester on two points from two games, one more than Chelsea.
“It felt great, it is a special moment for me to come back to the club and manage them at Stamford Bridge,” said Lampard, who was appointed Blues boss in the summer.
“For me it is a huge thing, but my focus today was on the match and trying to win.
“Thanks very much to the fans, I appreciate that, but I am here to do a job and here to try and win for the club and we can do better than we did today.”
Blues fade again on Lampard’s homecoming
Despite opening the season with their biggest Old Trafford defeat against Manchester United since 1965, there was a carnival atmosphere inside Stamford Bridge to welcome a Chelsea icon returning to manage the club he spent 13 years playing for.
Lampard’s image adorned the front cover of the programme, while the 41-year-old was greeted by the sight of a huge blue-and-white ‘Welcome Home Super Frank’ banner when he emerged from the tunnel before kick-off.
Flames from black boxes leapt into the sky as Stamford Bridge reverberated to the sound of Chelsea fans singing ‘Super Frank Lampard’.
There were placards and scarves too and it was not long before the veteran of 648 Chelsea appearances was punching the air in celebration after Mount punished Ndidi’s hesitancy after the Nigeria midfielder received the ball from Jonny Evans.
Despite the heavy 4-0 defeat, Chelsea had started the game well at Old Trafford last week, hitting the woodwork twice before falling away badly.
Chelsea faded in this game too, especially in comparison to the aggressive start they made in the upbeat atmosphere created by Lampard’s return – although their midweek Super Cup exertions in Turkey may have been a factor.
While Leicester failed to muster a shot on target in the first-half, Chelsea managed three in the opening seven minutes including Mount’s goal, a superb low finish that left Schmeichel flat-footed.
Fuchs’ challenge to deny his former team-mate Kante was pivotal, while Mount headed another opportunity at Schmeichel before Leicester responded strongly to take the shine off Lampard’s return.
Maddison inspires Leicester
Leicester are without a Premier League win in four games in a run that stretches back to last season, but their impressive second-half showing will leave Brendan Rodgers with optimism for the season ahead.
As poor as the Foxes were in the first half, they dominated after the interval and there will be a touch of disappointment they did not go on to seal victory.
Having managed just one shot in the opening 45 minutes, Leicester had 11 attempts in the second half of the match.
There are now few survivors from their legendary 2015-16 title-winning side, but in James Maddison, Rodgers has a player around whom he can build another impressive Foxes team.
The 22-year-old was the stand-out player in the game, not just content to distribute the ball intelligently but also threaten in the Chelsea box himself.
Maddison, who was called into the England squad last season, rounded Chelsea keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga but from the byline could not pick out a team-mate to apply the finish.
However he then delivered the corner that Ndidi headed home for the equaliser as Chelsea were caught cold.
The former Norwich player blazed a late chance to win the game over the bar but, while the game seemed to pass title-winning hero Jamie Vardy by, Maddison’s energy and creativity bodes well for Leicester’s future.
Man of the match – James Maddison (Leicester)
‘We need to be more clinical’ – what they said
Chelsea manager Frank Lampard, speaking to BBC Sport: “It’s very early for us. We have to be patient as we are working towards something.
“Two or three nil would have taken the game away from them but we didn’t take those chances. That’s the story of our season so far. We need to be more clinical, for sure. It is defining.”
On the reception he received from Chelsea’s fans: “This is home for me and I really appreciated the support. It’s my club, I played here so long and I’m slightly disappointed we didn’t get the win but I’m thankful to the fans.”
Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers, speaking to BBC Sport: “It is my fault, the mistake [that led to Chelsea’s goal], because I ask my players to build in the game. But it was a brilliant response.
“We were outstanding in the second-half but didn’t win the game. We came out with a positive mindset and had chances to put it to bed. The most important thing is getting the players into those positions.”
Mount makes Chelsea history – the stats
- Mason Mount became the first English player to score on his first home appearance for Chelsea in the Premier League since Paul Hughes did so against Derby County in January 1997.
- Mount became the first English player to score for Chelsea under an English manager since Dennis Wise against Blackburn Rovers in May 1996 (Glenn Hoddle as manager).
- Frank Lampard is the first Chelsea boss to fail to win any of his first three games in charge of the club since Rafael Benitez in the 2012-13 campaign.
- Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers has faced Chelsea on 13 occasions as a manager but is yet to register a victory against the Blues.
- Leicester midfielder Wilfred Ndidi’s goal was just his fifth in 90 Premier League appearances, and his first away from home.
- After winning their first Premier League home game in 12 consecutive seasons between 2003-04 and 2014-15, Chelsea have failed to win three of their last five opening home games in the competition.
Both teams are in action against newly promoted teams next, with Chelsea at Norwich on Saturday (12:30 BST) and Leicester at Sheffield United (15:00) on the same day.
“These conditions suit Adam Peaty more than Adam Lyth.”
That post on Yorkshire’s Twitter account referencing the Olympic gold medal-winning swimmer summed up the situation at Headingley and several other county grounds hoping to stage T20 Blast matches on Friday.
Rain caused the abandonment of all eight scheduled games without a ball bowled:
- Essex v Glamorgan
- Hampshire v Surrey
- Kent v Sussex
- Lancashire v Birmingham Bears
- Northamptonshire v Leicestershire
- Nottinghamshire v Derbyshire
- Somerset v Gloucestershire
- Yorkshire v Durham
All 18 counties have either three or four group games left to play as they bid to reach the final at Edgbaston on 21 September.
Lancashire are four points clear at the top of the North Group, despite having four of their 11 matches rained off, and will qualify for the quarter-finals if they win one of their last three group matches.
Below them, the other eight teams are separated by only five points.
“This group’s very tight and I’d take getting three points off the top team,” said Jim Troughton, whose Birmingham Bears side beat Lancashire at Edgbaston on Sunday and saw their reverse fixture at Old Trafford washed out.
“Everyone has a chance if they string together some performances. But, if you can get some momentum at this stage, it gives you a really good chance of getting to the quarter-finals.”
The South Group is evenly poised too, with just four points between leaders Sussex and fifth-placed Somerset.
The player who suffered the first recorded case of racist abuse in women’s professional football has no regrets about reporting it despite “sinking into depression” as a result of subsequent online abuse.
An independent Football Association regulatory commission found that Tottenham defender Renee Hector was racially abused by Sheffield United’s Sophie Jones during a Championship match in January.
Jones was banned for five games and fined £200 but denied allegations she made monkey noises towards Hector.
The forward, whose contract at Sheffield United was terminated by mutual consent in March, told the BBC: “I’m not a racist.”
Hector, who has since joined Charlton Athletic, says that, as a result of the case, she was was sent pictures of baby gorillas and abused about her weight.
The 24-year-old believes harsher punishments should be administered for racist abuse in football and more support should be offered to semi-professional players like her.
But she hopes Jones, who was found by an FA hearing to have lied to “conceal wrongdoing”, can learn from her mistake.
Speaking about the incident for the first time, Hector says the abuse started with accusations of her of “playing the race card” and increased when “unflattering pictures” of her appeared online.
“The online abuse affected me really deeply, but it wasn’t just me, it affected my family and really affected my mum,” Hector told BBC Sport.
“I was just spiralling out of control, basically, I started sinking into depression because there were lots of insecurities that I had already and it was highlighted for the world to see.
“I had spent years struggling with my weight, it first started when my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer and I also tore my anterior cruciate ligament in my knee so I couldn’t play for a year.
“All the comments online sparked all those stories back in my head, and I was my own worst enemy.
“My lowest point was when I had to have a week off work, because I couldn’t physically leave my bed and didn’t really leave the house. Every time I looked in the mirror I felt disgusted with myself.”
‘Raheem Sterling shouldn’t be the only one fighting racism’
Hector says she reported the incident to the referee and her mum at half-time of the match, and she later posted a Tweet detailing what happened without naming Jones.
But despite all the online abuse, she “would do exactly the same thing again”.
“One thing I do know if I stay true to myself,” she said. “If it gets one more person off the pitch who has said something racist then I’ve done what I can to help the cause.
“Take Raheem Sterling, for example. He’s out there as a bit of an advocate to fight racism against football, but it shouldn’t just be him.
“What I went through was difficult, but I’d say don’t be scared in stepping forward because the more that people step forward, the more seriously racism will be taken.”
Since the incident, the FA has increased its sanction for racism involving players to a minimum six-game ban, but Hector said: “I think the punishment needs to be a bit stronger.
“Players need know they are going to be punished significantly, and think twice about doing it because to some people a month out from playing matches isn’t really that long.”
‘I have no hatred towards Jones’
Hector says she was “shocked” to hear racist abuse, given it is almost unheard of in women’s football.
She says she heard monkey noises just before half-time as she contested a corner.
“I was so in shock,” she said. “I thought ‘did I just hear that right?’ And then I could hear my team-mate complaining to the referee about it, so it confirmed I did hear correctly.
“I had to run back into my position but when the whistle blew [to end the half], that’s when it sunk in.
“I went to tell the referee what I heard and my team-mate confirmed it. When we got back to the changing room my team-mate told me who it was. Then I began to get a bit more emotional and angry about it.
“On the way out for the second half I told the referee who it was and she said she would listen out for anything else. Then I just had to get to get back out there and make sure I played the second half to the best of my ability.
“It was probably one of my best games of the season. So obviously I channelled my anger in the right way. It wasn’t until the final whistle that it all hit me. I felt quite emotional and just sat on the floor, reflecting on the situation.
“I couldn’t believe it because I think this is probably the only incident that’s been reported anywhere in women’s football.”
Following the FA verdict, Jones described the hearing as a “kangaroo court”, said she was quitting football and was “unable to play under an organisation that I do not have any confidence in”.
Jones has since told the BBC: “It’s been very mentally challenging. I still struggle today.
“I’ve become a lot more anxious, paranoid and people still stare at me now even though it’s in the past. What really gets me is I’ve had to give up a sport that I love due to somebody’s allegation.”
Asked how she felt towards Jones now, Hector added: “I don’t have any hatred, I just hope she’s learned from the incident and can move forward and obviously try to better herself to make sure she doesn’t make those mistakes again.
“But all the abuse and stuff like that, I wouldn’t wish on her on anybody. I don’t want a life to be ruined.
“It’s just when you do something so wrong, you deserve what comes your way in terms of the punishment by the FA. I just hope she can move forward and make a better choice.”
Players need more support
Despite leaving Tottenham, Hector says she felt supported by “individuals at the club”, her team-mates and coach.
The team, who are semi-professional, were involved in a promotion push and reached the Women’s Super League, where they will become a fully professional club.
But Hector, who will play at Championship level again with new club Charlton, says she would have benefited from access to a psychologist, as away from matches and training she was “a mess”.
“It was difficult because they didn’t have the resources, a sports psychologist or anything like that,” she said.
“In terms of counselling, the coaches offered their support but at the same time, the main concentration was promotion so it was probably quite difficult for them to completely focus their attention on me.”
She added: “Becoming a professional will always be my dream until I’m too old to run around a pitch any more.
“Hopefully we can achieve that this season.”
Arsenal Women forward Danielle Carter is to have surgery on her right knee for the second time in 14 months after again injuring her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
The 26-year-old was hurt in a pre-season friendly against Bayern Munich at Emirates Stadium last month.
Carter missed much of Arsenal’s Women’s Super League title-winning season after suffering the same injury in May 2018.
It also ended her hopes of selection for England’s 2019 World Cup squad.
A club statement said the forward, who scored a hat-trick on her senior international debut for England in 2015, has “been working hard to prepare for surgery”.
“The operation will take place in the next few weeks, after which she will begin her rehabilitation programme immediately,” the statement from Arsenal added.
BBC Sport has launched #ChangeTheGame this summer to showcase female athletes in a way they never have been before. Through more live women’s sport available to watch across the BBC this summer, complemented by our journalism, we are aiming to turn up the volume on women’s sport and alter perceptions. Find out more here.